What Does This Picture Have To Do With This?
More than a few people have reached out and asked when I will be coming out with my updated list of rules for the beach or as some call it (actually just me) “The 10 Beach Commandments.”
In keeping with tradition the 2020 version will be released on Friday as we head into the first weekend of summer and yes it will include some changes because of social distancing and more. However because I love to talk about the beach I offer some results of how men feel about digging their toes into the sand courtesy of Men’s Health:
- 14% of men regularly apply sunscreen to their face and other exposed skin when they are outside for more than an hour. FYI: you should apply broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 every two hours or after toweling off.
- More than three-quarters of men worry most about how their stomach looks when they hit the beach. Knowing mine looks bad I’m more concerned about getting a good spot by the water.
- 67% of men cover up when they are in a bathing suit. For what it’s worth 1937 was the year New York first legalized topless bathing suits for men. What they wore before that was pretty comical.
- The most preferred male body type for the beach is ATHLETIC followed by DAD BOD (whatever that is). As you might expect the Mankini is the most disapproved piece of beach attire and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Seaside Park and for what it’s worth they are actually illegal.
- The top five factors according to men when it comes to what makes a good beach are sand quality, water quality, inexpensive parking, restrooms and trash cans. If your beach offers all five then stay there and don’t tell others.
Paying to get on the beach has always been a source of discussion and disagreement among us as in some cases people are charged as much as $12 for a daily badge to get on a public beach in Ocean and Monmouth County.
Most beaches around the country are free and men (and women) are rather shocked when they come to the Jersey Shore for the first time and find out they have to pay for a dip in the ocean.
What do you get when you mix vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice and either orange or grapefruit juice? A drink called “Sex on the Beach” which about 30% of us have had.