If You Have These Dog Treats In Your House Throw Them Out Now
There are few things that dogs love more than something nice and tough to chew on, but recently the FDA sent out a warning along with recalls for a number of brands of popular dog treats.
The recall notices includes brands of pig ears that were sold here in New Jersey.
Pig ears can keep a dog that likes to chew busy for a long time, and while a summer salmonella scare has been cleared by federal agencies, the CDC and FDA are encouraging pet parents to check their stock and make sure that they don't have any of the recalled products still in their homes.
Over the summer, over 150 people got sick after feeding their dogs pig ears that had been contaminated with salmonella.
As of October 30th, the CDC and FDA dropped the warning, but some of the pig ears that were included in the recalls could still be out there, especially because some were sold in bulk at popular warehouse clubs.
Here are the recall specifics from the FDA website (we've highlighted the brands that were sold in NJ):
- On July 3, 2019, Pet Supplies Plus announced a recall of all bulk pig ears from its stores in AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI and WV.
- On July 26, 2019, Lennox Intl Inc. announced a recall for some of its pig ear pet treat products. On July 30, 2019, the firm announced an expanded recall.
- On August 16, 2019, Dog Goods USA LLC announced a recall of non-irradiated bulk and packaged Chef Toby Pig Ears. Product lot codes for the recalled products are 428590, 278989, 087148, 224208, 1168723, 428590, 222999, 074599, 1124053, 226884, 578867, 224897, 1234750, 444525, 1106709, 215812, 230273, 224970, 585246, 327901, 052248, 210393, 217664, 331199, 225399, 867680, 050273, 881224, 424223, 225979, 431724, 226340, 880207, and 334498. On September 3, 2019, the firm announced an expanded recall to include all 30-packs of Berkley & Jensen brand pig ears sold at BJ’s Wholesale Club stores.
- The following products tested positive for Salmonella but were not involved in the outbreak.
- On August 27, 2019, Brutus & Barnaby recalled all varieties of their Pig Ear Natural Treats for Dogs.
- On September 23, 2019, TDBBS announced a recall of USA Thick Pig Ear 8 Pack (lot codes 1129T1 and 1549T1) and USA Thick Pig Ear 20 Packs (lot codes 1129T1, 1339T1, and 2179T1) sold through Amazon.com.
If you've bought your dog pig ears in the last few months, check the packages to see if they were part of the recall. If they were, throw them out immediately.