Three Shore Moving Firms Among 25 Nabbed In State Sting
Three shore-based moving companies are among 25 around New Jersey charged with licensing violations in an undercover sting operation by the state Attorney General’s office. Eleven people were arrested.
Eric Meekins of Long Branch, advertising as “Eric,” Affordable Movers of Oakhurst, and Woodbridge Moving of Tinton Falls were among those fined $2,500 each in a three-day initiative, “Operation Mother’s Attic II,” in the last week of July. According to authorities, at least 11 advertised on Craigslist, one on Angie’s List, and at least seven maintained websites. Others used Internet venues including third-party moving-related sites.
Investigators arranged appointments at a site in Highland Park. Authorities say 22 sent crews who were met by Consumer Affairs investigators who checked trucks, driver and vehicle records and performed safety inspections.
Operators are not specifically identified, but investigators cited violations including uninsured and unsafe trucks. Nine arrestees, say authorities, were wanted for unpaid traffic fines or child support payments. Two were transferred to officers of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement after processing by state troopers.
The companies also face civil penalties as high as $2,500. Companies who reach licensing compliance within 30 days can cut their penalties in half. Each mover can file for an administrative hearing to contest the charges.
Three of the 25 companies that arranged appointments failed to keep them. The list of companies charged:
· Affordable Movers, Oakhurst
· All Country Moving & Storage, Union City
· Budget Minded Dependable Movers, Somerset
· Delbridge Moving & Cleanouts, Bayonne
· Eric Meekins, advertising as “Eric,” Long Branch
· Father & Son Moving & Storage, Pemberton
· General Movers, aka Hoboken Movers, aka Official Moving and Storage, New York City
· George’s Moving, Boonton
· Heavy & Light Moves, Linden
· JHR Group, Newton
· Lakeland Moving & Storage, Ringwood
· Marcus Hall Moving & Relocation, Jersey City
· Mary’s Moving, Marlton
· Me & My Small Truck, East Brunswick
· Move for Less, Palisades Park
· Move For One Flat Rate, Piscataway
· Movers Working Independent, aka MI JANTO 007, Garfield
· NJ Pro Movers, aka NY Pro Movers aka Stress Less Movers, New York City
· Ron’s Moving, Willingboro
· Shawn the Super Mover, Manville
· South Jersey Moving, Blackwood
· Tuck’s Moving Service, Hackettstown
· Umex Moving & Storage, Plainfield
· United Direct Movers, Bloomfield
· Woodbridge Moving, Tinton Falls
The New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs maintains a list of hiring tips and a portal to report suspected fraud at http://www.NJConsumerAffairs.gov/brief/mover.pdf. Staffers at the Consumer Affairs hotline, 800-242-5846, can verify a company’s license status.