Three Hurt in SOCH Chemical Spill
A formaldehyde spill at Southern Ocean Medical Center in Manahawkin this morning leaves three hospital workers recovering from inhalation-related maladies.
Stafford Township Police said the spill was reported at about 10:14 AM, in a utility room adjacent to the Labor and Delivery area.
According to police, the spill was contained to the workroom, no patients were involved and no evacuations were needed.
However, three workers were overcome by fumes and required treatment, according to the report.
Berkeley Township’s Hazardous Material team neutralized the chemical and a private contractor was summoned for cleanup, after assessments by police officers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians from Stafford and Barnegat.