Smoke, flames in Manchester kitchen fire displace home owner
A Manchester man is staying with relatives, after a fire in his kitchen that first-responders saved from enveloping his entire house, according to police.
Investigators said that food left cooking by itself triggered the blaze that damaged the kitchen in the Cedar Glen Lakes house extensively and sent smoke billowing throughout the dwelling.
They did not disclose the owner's identity, but said that he was not hurt. The house, though, was deemed temporarily uninhabitable by a township building inspector.
The report at 7:05 PM sent officers to 2B Colorado Way in the Whiting section. Patrolman Brian Collins reported that the kitchen was in flames, and that no one was inside the house or in an adjoining home.
Whiting and Lakehurst volunteer firefighters tamped down the flames and limited the burn damage to the kitchen, police said.
Emergency medcial technicians of Quality Medical Transport, the Ocean County Fire Marshal and Manchester Emergency Management also responded to the conflagration.