Update: Heating Unit Caused Small Fire Evacuates Brick Elementary
A small fire in Lanes Mill Elementary caused students to be evacuated, but no injuries occurred.
Officials tell Patch.com the fire came from a heating unit in the library which ignited when a malfunctioning heating valve ignited nearby books. The fire was put out immediately and there were no injuries.
Students were able to return once the smoke was ventilated from the room to retrieve their belongings since the school did no have a sprinkler system.
The incident occurred at around 2:30 and was under control within a half hour. Students were preparing for dismissal at the normal time, and all were accounted for and placed on awaiting school buses according to Brick Police.
The aftercare program was unaffected and was held at the school. Any additional information, including any changes to the school schedule, will be forthcoming.