“Fun Facts” About Wheaties[POLL]
Can you imagine your face or even better your child on the box of the Wheaties box.
Olympic Gold Winner Gabby Douglas is the latest to be on the cereal box.
Here are some fun facts about the cereal we’ve grown up with:
- The first athlete to appear on a Wheaties box – the back of the package – was baseball great Lou Gehrig in 1934.
- The 1987 World Champion Minnesota Twins were the first team to appear on the package.
- The first non-orange Wheaties box was released in 1992. The red and black package honored the NBA Champion Chicago Bulls.
- In 1934, Aviator Elinor Smith became the first female to appear on the back of the Wheaties box.
- Babe Didrikson became the first female athlete to appear on the Wheaties box – the back of the package – in 1935.
- In 1926, Wheaties pioneered the singing radio commercial with “Have You Tried Wheaties?”
- Wheaties sponsored the first televised commercial sports broadcast when, on August 29, 1939, NBC presented a baseball game between the Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Dodgers for some 500 owners of television sets in New York City.
- The first athlete to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was decathlon gold medalist Bob Richards in 1958.
- The first woman to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was gold medal gymnast Mary Lou Retton in 1984.
- The first race car driver to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was Dale Earnhardt in 1997.
- The first football player to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was Walter Payton in 1986.
- The 1991 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins were the first hockey team to appear on the Wheaties package.
- Lee Trevino became the first golfer to appear on the front of a Wheaties box in 1969.
- Michael Jordan has appeared on the Wheaties box more than any other athlete – 18 times, including appearances with the NBA champion Chicago Bulls in 1991, 1993 and 1995.