Elderly Toms River man dies after being found in smoke-filled house
Arduous efforts to revive a 92-year-old Toms River man fail after he is found prone in his smoke-filled house.
According to township police, emergency medical technicians of the Silverton First Aid Squad and Officer James Skripko arrived at the dwelling on Mount Dashan Lane in the Holiday City section at about 5 PM Saturday, finding smoke filling the interior.
Neighbors told them that the nonagenarian lived alone. EMT John Carolan entered through the bathroom window and found the vicitm lying next to his smoldering stove.
He opened the front door, and with help from Officer Skripko, Silverton Fire Chief Gary Tatersall and Silverton EMT Kevin Geoghegan, pulled the man out of the house to initiate CPR.
The victim was pronounced dead at Community Medical Center in Toms River, though police added that the exact cause of death has yet to be determined.
Geoghegan also serves as a Toms River Township Councilman.