An accidental structure fire that started in the early hours of the morning in one of the rooms at the Moon Motel has caused the temporary closure of the building.

Moon Motel sign
Sign in front of Moon Motel in Howell (Facebook)

Police responded to the call of a structure fire at the motel around 4 o'clock this morning. When emergency responders arrived on the scene flames were coming out of the southeast corner of the hotel.

The fire began in room 48 where Erik Kelly, 41, has been living for some months now. Kelly says he was smoking a cigarette and put it down to take his child to the bathroom, When they came back out to the bedroom, the bed was on fire and spreading up to the ceiling area.

The building was evacuated and there were no reported injuries. All residents of the hotel were moved to another motel nearby.