Man severed finger in snowblower accident — don’t let it happen to you
HIGHTSTOWN — Two people were injured while using their snowblowers during Tuesday's storm.
NJ.com reported that the separate incidents happened early in the afternoon along Main Street, while the men cleared snow from their machines. One man in his 30s severed the tip off his finger while another in his 50s cut several fingers.
Dr. Eric Wasserman, chairman and medical director of emergency medicine at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, said snow blower users should use a stick or a broom handle to clear clogs and not their hands. He also suggested wearing eye protection or goggles if blowing snow over gravel or unpaved surfaces.
The American Society for Surgery of the Hand also had several suggestions for safe snow blowing:
- Work at a brisk pace. The faster the blades and pace, the less likely the snow will stick.
- If snow is heavy and wet consider snowblowing several times during the snowfall.
- Spray the blades and chute with cooking oil spray.
- Stay focused while snowblowing
- Wait five seconds after shutting the machine off to allow the impeller blades to stop rotating
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from WOBM