Garden State Parkway road project to close lanes, cause delays
WOODBRIDGE — Several closures will likely cause delays this weekend on the Garden State Parkway and other nearby roads plus the Bayonne Bridge and Pulaski Skyway.
The Garden State Parkway southbound will be affected by most of the closures to replace the deck of a the bridge over Bordentown Avenue in Sayreville, located before the Cheesequake service area.
"By replacing the deck in a weekend long high-intensity construction cycle, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority is able to avoid long-term lane closures that would disrupt traffic in the area for months," the Authority said in a statement.
- Five right lanes southbound will be closed between Exit 129 for the New Jersey Turnpike and the Raritan tolls until 7 a.m. on Monday morning.
- The Parkway's local (outer) lanes will be closed, forcing all traffic to the express (inner) lanes. A temporary crossover to the inner lanes will be in place. The ramp from Chevalier Avenue in Sayreville to the southbound Parkway will also be closed through the weekend. This closure will impact drivers heading to the southbound Parkway from the Victory Circle in South Amboy.
- The ramp from southbound Route 440 (Route 287) to the southbound Parkway will be closed to alleviate traffic. Drivers will be detoured to Route 9 and Route 35 to rejoin the Parkway at Exit 117 and Lloyd Road in Matawan.
The Pulaski Skyway will be closed all day Saturday and reopen at 3 p.m Sunday to prepare for all southbound traffic to be diverted to the newly redecked northbound lanes as part of the rehabilitation of the 84-year-old bridge continues. According to the NJ DOT, southbound traffic will be shifted by Sunday afternoon onto the northbound lanes approximately a half mile sooner at Span 0, which is over the Tonnele Circle.
The following detours will be in place:
- Skyway southbound traffic: All southbound Skyway traffic will be diverted from Route 139 westbound to the Tonnele Circle and then directed back onto the Skyway using the ramp from the Circle to the Skyway. The Skyway southbound will be reduced to one lane.
- I-280/Route 7 traffic: Traffic wishing to use I-280/Route 7 will be directed from Tonnele Circle to Route 1&9 Truck northbound to the jughandle at County Road where traffic will make a U-turn and take Route 1&9 Truck southbound to Route 7.
The Bayonne Bridge will be closed in both directions until 7 p.m. as part of its ongoing "Raise the Roadway" project.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from New Jersey 101.5: