The First (and last) Visit to Kevin’s Korner
Today I bring you the first (and maybe last) installment of Kevin’s Korner (the K makes it look better) in which I offer unsolicited thoughts on a variety of topics as we head into the final weekend of October:
- An amazing job by our sister station 105.7 The Hawk and everyone associated with the annual Ocean of Love Billboard Radiothon more than $141,000 was raised to help local families dealing with childhood cancer.
- As a Mets fan count me among those really disappointed that not only did our team not hire Joe Girardi as their next manager they did so knowing his only other real option was our dreaded division rivals, the Phillies. So Girardi who checks all the boxes on what was needed in New York heads down the Turnpike to Philadelphia while coming to Flushing will be someone with no experience and whose greatest asset might be a willingness to say yes to whatever the general manager tells him.
- I have no plans to go to an NBA game this season. I might not even watch an entire one on TV.
- If you know me at all then you know my strongest sports loyalty goes to Penn State football and right now my beloved Nittany Lions are 7-0 and ranked 6th in the nation. However as a glass is “half full” kind of guy I don’t have a ton of confidence that they can get through road games against Michigan State and Minnesota. If they do then there’s still the matter of Ohio State just before Thanksgiving.
- Donovan Catholic will play what might be the biggest football game in school history tonight when they host Red Bank Catholic in what is our Jersey Mike’s Game of the Week on the Shore Sports Network. The Griffins have destroyed their 7 opponents this year by an average score of 39-3 but many point out to their relatively weak schedule and clearly the defending state sectional champion Caseys will be their toughest test of the season. I think Donovan is really good but we’ll know better later tonight.
- Restaurants and bars come and go and only the good ones truly stand the test of time. Hadn’t been to The Miracle Pub in Toms River in a while, partly because it’s always crowded around dinner time. Got their early enough last night and it’s just one of those places where you always leave satisfied. Plus they have a pay phone, just like in the old days.