Taking Another Step Back Into the Past
The other day a friend of mine and I were exchanging messages and he said one of the things he likes about the Hometown View is that I tend to be very nostalgic and talk about what some believe were better days. As I’ve said before it’s not that they were better but simpler and thinking about that I have come up with a list of some of the things today’s generation will likely never enjoy, appreciate, understand or frankly have any idea what I’m talking about.
- Ring around the Rosie.
- Hot potato
- Take one giant step, may I?
- Cereal boxes with great prizes at the bottom.
- Getting green stamps after filling up with gas.
- Catching lightening bugs in a jar.
- Climbing trees
- Swinging as high as you can in those long swings trying to reach the sky.
- Swanson TV dinners (especially the Fried Chicken)
- Placing baseball cards in the spokes of your bike.
- Eeny-meeny-miney-mo was used to make decisions.
- The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
- The ultimate weapon was a water balloon.
- Your Mom was always home when you came home from school…if not you went to a neighbor’s house.
- What really scared us was not drive by shootings, drugs or gangs but our parents.
- Banana-flavored Bonomo’s Turkish Taffy
- Hot summer nights with the windows open because there was no AC
- Drinking water from the garden hose which tasted great
- Listening to a baseball game on your AM radio
Of course there’s hundreds more but my time is up…for today that is.