A quick response by Holmdel Police and staff at the Arnold Walter Nursing Home on Laurel Avenue helped prevent any injuries from occurring when heavy smoke consumed the Alzheimer's Unit this morning around 2:05 am.

Patients were moved to safety in another part of the building with the assistance of nursing staff and responding officers.

Some of the patients where not ambulatory, police said.

Investigators say the smoke came from an air handler on the roof which sends heat to the main hallway and common room in the b-wing which is where the Alzheimer's Unit is located.

Holmdel Fire Department, Holmdel First Aid, and Holmdel Office of Emergency Management were dispatched to the scene along with the Hazlet Township Police Department, Hazlet Fire Company #1, North Centerville Fire Company, West Keansburg Fire Company, Hazlet First Aid, Hazlet Township Fire Police, Union Beach Fire Department, Union Beach First Aid, Matawan Fire Department, Keansburg Fire Department, Monmouth County Mobile Ambulance Bus 6, Bayshore First Aid and the Middletown Township Fire Department.

All units were released and clear from the scene by 3:50 AM.

More From The Jersey Shore:

More From 92.7 WOBM