Cooking Is Easy And 12 More Generalizations
Getty Images for NYCWFF
Generalization is defined as a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases. It is what we all do on a regular basis often without giving it much thought and should not be confused with “stereotypes” which is what generalizations become when ALL members of a group are categorized as having the same characteristics. I think of stereotypes as mostly negative statements made about a group of people which make them all seem the same while generalizations are more likely broad statements based on your experiences and examples.
With that said here are some generalizations:
- Every salesman lies to make more money on a sale.
- Women all want to have large families.
- Men are all afraid of commitment.
- Professional athletes are arrogant and cocky.
- Most politicians are greedy and manipulative.
- Only a fool would believe what the commercial says…unless you hear it on WOBM.
- Learning to drive is easy.
- College is the only way a person can be properly educated.
- Rich people are greedy…poor people are lazy.
- All success is brought about by good luck.
- The customer is always right.
- All parents try to make life difficult for their children.
- Anyone can learn to cook if they only try (my wife believes this to be true).
- AND…the Hometown View is always entertaining and informative!
Generalizations are statements that are often true but not completely true in all cases and we should be careful as to how we use them.