Why I’ll Miss Summer
If you read this segment with any regularity then you know the beach is my happy place and it’s what I will miss most once I put my Tommy Bahama chair away for the season (I hope I can still sneak in a few days before that happens.)
However the beach is not the only thing I truly love about summer which is coming to a close today. Here are ten others:
- Daylight- Next to the beach itself this might be the worst part because as summer fades so does daylight. Who doesn’t like those long days of sunlight when after dinner you can still do things outside? On June 21 we had 15 hours of daylight…today there’s 12:10
- Holiday Weekends- Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day all within 98 days makes for extended breaks in the work week.
- Bikinis- Sure will miss these on the beach. No other words needed
- While on the subject: clothes- I have worn long pants only once since June and have gone sockless the entire time. Summer means cool, casual and light clothing and shoes with bright colors. By the way I have vowed to wear shorts for at least the rest of this month and I truly dread the thought of sweaters, jackets and yes socks
- Barbeques- I know you can grill 12 months a year but there’s something about cooking burgers and steaks with a cold beer in your hand while it’s still warm and light out
- Reading- My favorite place to read is at the beach and I read quite a few books this summer and probably won’t get through another one for the next 9 months
- Ice Cream- I don’t have it often but I can tell you this…it tastes better in July then in January
- Baseball- If ever a sport was made for summer it’s baseball even this year.
- No school buses- Don’t have to worry about getting behind one in summer. Of course with virtual learning it won’t be as bad in some towns.
- Being tan- I know sun can damage your skin and it’s not for everyone but I just feel so much better when I’m tan…especially my feet.
Yes fall is wonderful as well and I can probably come up with a list of my ten favorite things but it will take a lot longer. Goodbye summer...I hate to you see you go!