Where Danger Lurks
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
If you pay attention to the news you are aware that there have been several people bitten by sharks in the ocean off Long Island this summer which in itself in very unusual. Fortunately none of those attacks was serious but it’s made many swimmers hesitant about diving into the surf even though the odds of being bitten by a shark are very long. Meanwhile I offer some interesting results when it comes to danger:
- It is statistically safer to travel by train then by plane.
- Your odds of dying the first time you skydive when doing a tandem jump are about 1 in 500,000…your chances of dying in a motor vehicle accident are about 1 in 103.
- Treadmills are involved in more than a third of gym equipment accidents that send men to the ER.
- It’s safer to take an elevator than go down the stairs. About 25 people are killed each year in elevator accidents while more than 2,000 die after falling down the stairs.
- Those who sit six or more hours a day at work are 40% more likely to die in 15 years than those who sit three hours or less each day.
- Among bears, dogs, alligators and bees which do you think is the most dangerous? The answer is bees which account for almost 30% of all animal- related fatalities in the U.S. Many of the deaths from hornets, wasps and bees come from allergic reactions.
- Logging workers have the most dangerous job in the U.S. followed by commercial fishing…if you ever watched Deadliest Catch you understand that.
Source: Men’s Health
What would happen to NJ if we were attacked by nuclear weapons?
We used NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein to see what would happen if a nuclear warhead hit New York, Philadelphia, Washington or New Jersey.
The models show what would happen in aerial detonation, meaning the bomb would be set off in the sky, causing considerable damage to structures and people below; or what would happen in a ground detonation, which would have the alarming result of nuclear fallout. The models do not take into account the number of casualties that would result from fallout.