Trump, Thurman & Tough Losses for Monmouth, Wall
Covering a few topics on a rainy Monday morning:
- Should be an interesting week in Washington as House Democrats present evidence today for the impeachment of President Trump. One of the big unknowns is whether Articles of Impeachment are limited towards Trump’s conduct with Ukraine or will also include evidence from the Mueller report.Regardless it does appear that the Democrat controlled Congress will at some point vote for impeachment but it will die in the Senate where Republicans hold the advantage.
- I know my friends who are fans of the Yankees will be surprised by this but I was disappointed that Thurman Munson was not elected to Baseball’s Hall of Fame by the Modern Era Committee who on Sunday selected former catcher Ted Simmons and union leader Marvin Miller for enshrinement this summer. I never thought Munson was a Hall of Famer until late last week when reading a story in the New York Post by Kevin Kiernan who had the stats to back up his worthiness.Of course the former Yankee captain would have likely made it to Cooperstown had he not died tragically at the age of 32 in a plane crash. Another former Yankee, Don Mattingly was also under consideration but like Munson fell well short of election.
- Epic football seasons for both Monmouth University and Wall High School ended in somewhat disappointing fashion over the weekend but that should not take away from what they both accomplished. The best season in Monmouth history ended with a loss at powerful James Madison in the second round of the NCAA Division 1 Championships but not before some early fireworks gave Hawks fans some thrilling moments.Meanwhile Wall came up just short in a 12-7 loss to Woodrow Wilson Sunday morning in the NJSIAA Group 3 South Jersey Regional title game at Rutgers. Playing without injured running back Casey Larkin the Crimson Knights just missed on being the first Shore Conference team to win 13 games in a season.
- Looks like a couple of rainy days around the shore. The good news (as far as I’m concerned) is that it’s not snow.
- For those interested the seeds and pairings for the WOBM Christmas Classic will be released early this afternoon on shoresportsnetwork.com.