Transformer goes out sending smoke across Manchester health care facility
Nearly 150-patients at the AristaCare Health Care Facility in Manchester are evacuated Sunday morning around 8:10 am after a transformer shorted causing smoke to consume the building.
Police say the transformer shortage forced the a/c unit to malfunction and sending smoke from the disabled unit across the building.
There was no fire, only smoke which was cleared up and out so patients could move back into their rooms.
One patient needed first aid for an unrelated health issue.
Manchester Township Police Officers as well as fire crews from 5 nearby fire departments responded to the AristaCare Health Care facility located at 23 Schoolhouse Road for the report of a smoke condition and possible structure fire.
Responding officers and firefighters located smoke in the west wing of the 2nd floor but no fire.
Due to the smoke condition, emergency workers and facility staff began evacuating residents to the outside front lawn area.
Assisting at the scene were firefighters from the Whiting, Manchester and Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Department as well as crews from the Lakehurst and Joint Base Fire Departments and EMTs from Quality Medical Transport as well as representatives from the Manchester Township Office of Emergency Management and the Ocean County Fire Marshall's Office.
More From The Jersey Shore: