Running the Clock Down on Summer
How can it be August 2nd already? If you are one who considers summer at the shore the 100 days from Memorial Day to Labor Day then it’s 68 days down and only 32 to go.
I admit to being a “glass is half empty” kind of guy so to me signs of summer ending are everywhere or maybe I’m just looking for them. Anyway here is why I know that summer is truly in the home stretch:
- The back-to-school ads are everywhere. Clothes, sneakers, backpacks. Shop now or you can’t get the cool ones your kids need. Plus Staples makes you feel like if you don’t get your supplies now they’ll be gone.
- Meanwhile summer clothes, especially bathing suits are on sale at deep discounts. If you can find them.
- You can count the days until HALLOWEEN is mentioned. Actually it already has but I’m ignoring it for as long as possible. For the record it’s 91 days away.
- On July 2nd sunrise was at 5:32am and sunset was 8:29pm. Today sunrise is 5:56 a.m. and sunset is 8:09 p.m. We are losing daylight fast and by the end of the month it will be much worse.
- College students, especially those who are heading south or who play sports are getting ready to leave. That will make things difficult for many summer businesses who rely on them for help.
- My fantasy football league has scheduled its draft date.
- The Lakewood BlueClaws have only 12 home games left this season.
- We have basically run out of shows to binge watch on Netflix to fill the gap before fall TV shows return.
- Broken sandals from overuse are left on the beach and they’ll soon be joined by broken chairs.
- I’m already dreading the thought of non-summer clothes, especially long pants which I’ve only worn two or three times in the last six weeks or so. That’s two or three times more than I’ve worn socks.
- The tan I have now is the best one I’ll have for the next year.
For those of you who believe the glass is always half full then enjoy this final full month of summer and even the three weeks left in September.