Rants from an Old Guy
The month of June comes to an end this weekend and as it always seems summer in flying by at breakneck speed. I thought I would close the month with the latest edition of “rants from an old guy.”
- The Democratic debates of the last two nights featured way too many candidates and a forum in which it was hard to declare any one or two as “winners.” However I find it somewhat troubling that the majority of the top contenders seem to focus on giving things for free as the solution to at least some of today’s problems. I think many are Pollyanna’s with no real clue as to how to fund their ideas.
- With that said the guy occupying the White House has created an environment that is toxic with no end in sight. We deserve better. I just don’t know where it will come from.
- I’ll tell you who also deserves better: Mets fans of which I am one. I don’t think I need to say any more on this.
- I’m rooting for the US Women’s soccer team because they are the US Women’s soccer team. I would hope that co-captain Megan Rapinoe is aware that if ever there was a case of the “name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back” that this is it. Enough said. Beat France.
- I hate to generalize but from my few experiences and more importantly talking to those that would know hockey players are without question the best pro athletes to deal with when it comes to team sports.
- I continue to be perplexed by those who insist on driving in the left lane at or below the speed limit. Keep right unless you’re passing. Please!
- I really have a problem with those who moan about heat and humidity in the summer. How can you forget the winter months so quickly?
- Kevin Bacon is a much underrated actor. Catch him in City on a Hill, an original series on Showtime. He’s terrific.
- Mike Trout is the best player in baseball and anyone who tries to argue against that is ignorant.
- Water is by far the best thirst quencher but on a hot summer day and ice cold Rolling Rock gets the job done just fine.
- I’m going to scream the first time I see a back to school TV commercial.