Good samaritan rescues family dog after Middletown, NJ residence catches on fire
It took 30 firefighters to put out a blaze that started at a residence on West Front Street in the River Plaza section of Middletown Township on Tuesday afternoon, but everyone came away uninjured.
The details of the house fire were announced by the Middletown Township Fire Department.
Someone called 9-1-1 on Tuesday afternoon around 2:37 pm reporting that they saw flames showing as they passed by a house at 460 West Front Street and that call was relayed over to the Middletown Township Fire Department.
As MTFD arrived on scene and evaluated what was going on, they saw flames coming from the left side of the one story wood frame residence as well as from the roof.
MTFD said they called for backup units and the Rapid Intervention Team.
Soon-thereafter, firefighters went through the first floor of the home and began putting out the flames in a ranch style home they said had no garage.
The firefighters worked quickly and MTFD said that the first was placed under control by MTFD Third Assistant Chief Daniel Kelly at 2:51 pm and everyone was cleared from the area by 4:30 pm.
There were no residents inside the home at the time, according to MTFD, but a family dog was rescued by a passerby and then brought to a next door neighbor.
MTFD said that the dog was uninjured.
In all, there were 30 firefighters from six fire companies on scene including the Middletown Township Fire Department responded to the call from Navesink, Belford Engine, Middletown Fire Company No.1, River Plaza Hose, Lincroft Fire, and Old Village Fire companies and they were joined by the MTFD Air Unit, Fire Police, and the Safety Unit.
MTFD said the utilities at the residence were secured by "New Jersey Natural Gas, Jersey Central Power and Light and New Jersey American Water."