Let's talk potholes. They're a big "UGH", especially in the winter months here at the Jersey Shore.

Potholes are formed by the expansion and contraction of ground water after the water has entered into the ground under the pavement. When water freezes, it expands and causes big holes in our roads, and possibly lots of damage to our cars.

Did you know you can file a claim if damage is done to your car from a pothole? If it happens on the New Jersey Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway you can mail some items in for that damage.  Some things you might need:

-a copy of your estimate of repair

-a copy of your declaration sheet from your insurance company showing the amount of your physical damage deductible

-if fixed, submit a copy of receipt

Send all information to:

Department of Treasury
Division of Risk Management
P.O. Box 620
Trenton, NJ 08625
Attn: Tort Claims Unit

It could take up to 90 days, but it's worth it.

If you damage your car in a town, on a side-street or a main road please check with your township to see what they offer. Townships throughout Ocean and Monmouth County are different.

More from WOBM:

More From 92.7 WOBM