Best Christmas Movies of All Time — One Man’s List
My wife has had enough of my obsession with the Hallmark Channel’s Christmas movies which has reached new heights this holiday season. I have even downloaded the App and I have it alert me when one of the new movies is airing on one of two channels.
There is Countdown to Christmas on the regular Hallmark Channel and Miracles of Christmas on the Movies & Mysteries Channel.
There’s an entire world of real holiday favorites and usually at this time of year debate rages about the best Christmas movies of all-time, a debate that cannot be won since it’s just a matter of opinion. So for what it’s worth here is my all-time ten best list and for this purpose let’s not include “Die Hard” or the animated favorites like “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
- Miracle on 34th Street- The 1947 original of course starring Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle and featuring a young Natalie Wood.
- Elf- Will Ferrell is great as “Buddy” and so is James Caan as his biological father. I really love this movie.
- Love Actually- I admit to being a sap for movies like this and this one is more like an R rated Hallmark movie starring Hugh Grant and a bunch of English actors. May not be a classic but it’s on my list.
- It’s A Wonderful Life- Probably considered #1 on most lists this 1946 movie starring Jimmy Stewart will always be a favorite.
- White Christmas- A gem with an amazing cast of Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen.
- A Christmas Story- I can’t believe Ralphie’s quest for the Red Rider BB Gun is 35 years old but it is and is still great. Who can forget “you’ll shoot your eye out” which is a classic Christmas movie quote.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation- Might be hard to compare with the standards but it belong on the list as we can all relate to poor Clark Griswold who just wants to have the best lights display around.
- Home Alone- No holiday season is complete without watching this one from start to finish…it’s when Macaulay Culkin was cute and terrific.
- Remember The Night- Maybe not the most popular but well worth watching as Fred MacMurray has to prosecute Barbara Stanwyck for shoplifting during the holidays. Go out of your way to watch this one.
- (tie) The Family Stone, Scrooged, The Holiday, The Santa Clause, Babes in Toyland and Bad Santa which is bad and very funny.