The black Kean University graduate who police say sent Twitter messages threatening black students at the university now says she's receiving death threats herself, NJ Advance Media has reported.

Kayla-Simone McKelvey, 24, who graduated Kean in May, filed a report with the Union Police Department Tuesday, claiming that she had been threatened.

McKelvey was charged via summons with a single count of third-degree creating a false public alarm after she allegedly left a student rally about racial issues on Nov. 17, went off to a computer station inside a library and created an anonymous Twitter account she used to tweet the threats, acting Union County Prosecutor Grace Park said in a statement Tuesday.

Authorities say McKelvey then returned to the rally and helped spread the word among students about the threats. Several threats were tweeted against black students that claimed there was a bomb on campus.

Another read, “I will shoot any black person i see at kean university (sic).” The investigation further revealed that there was never any actual plan to harm students, the prosecutor said.


"I want you to know the threat assessment that took place immediately upon learning of the situation determined that the tweets did not pose a significant threat to the safety of our campus or our students. I wish I could have told you this sooner, but until now, it could have compromised the investigation," Kean University President Dawood Farahi said in an online statement Tuesday.

Union Police Director Daniel Zieser told NJ Advance Media that the death threats made against McKelvey were initially reported to Kean University Police, who then referred the case to the Union Police Department.

The report says Zeiser ordered township officers and detectives to watch McKelvey's Union home when possible. According to the website, a police car was parked outside the former Kean student's home Wednesday morning.

According to The Tower, which describes itself as “the independent voice of Kean University,” McKelvey was president of the Pan-African Student Union. Her first appearance in the case has been scheduled for Dec. 14 in the Union County Jail courtroom.