Haz-Mat Team Sent to Brick Home
Chemical fumes fill a Brick Township home sending the resident to the hospital. Police say it was the Reedy Drive homeowner's attempt to unclog a toilet that created the haz-mat situation.
74-year-old Robert Byrne attempted to clear the drain with bleach Wednesday night and when that didn't work, he poured in sulfuric acid Thursday morning causing a volatile reaction. Police say when the chemicals combined the mixture foamed over and quickly filled the residence with fumes.
Byrne was transported to the Ocean Medical Center after complaining of having difficulty breathing. His dog was also affected by the exposure to the fumes and was turned over to a family member at the scene.
First responders and the Berkley Township Hazardous Materials Response Team ventilated the residence and declared it safe to re-enter by 1:30 Thursday afternoon.