What Are the Germiest Jobs? You Might be Surprised
As this epic flu season continues to spread, many of us are stockpiling hand sanitizer, wiping down every surface, and running for cover at the sound of a co-worker’s first cough. While there are some strategies for trying to avoid catching a bug, there are some jobs where it’s harder to avoid illness than others.
In a study where University of Arizona scientists swabbed surfaces at different workplaces to see who had the most germs lurking around, here are the germiest professions:
1) Teacher – No surpise here. Let’s be honest, as cute as kids are, they’re walking germ incubators. With so many students walking the halls in close proximity and moving from room to room throughout the day, the flu can run rampant throughout a school in the blink of an eye.
2) Accountant – I’ll be honest, I was a little perplexed by this one. Off the top of my head, I can’t necessarily think of a reason that an accountant’s office would be #2 on this list. Any thoughts from our accountant friends out there?
3) Banker – Close contact with the public and handling bills and coins all day - the perfect storm to pass a bug from one person to another just short of making out with everyone who walks in the door.
4) Radio DJ – Seriously, this is #4 on the list. And I have to say, I’m not surprised. It was at my first full time radio job that I first started carrying hand sanitizer with me. It was one of those winters where everyone in the office was getting sick. One day, when I was in a production studio, I realized that at least five people had used that same studio before me. They touched the same buttons and had their mouths just inches away from the same microphone. That same day I went out and got a small bottle of hand sanitizer to put in my work bag, and there’s been one there ever since.
5) Doctor - Obviously a profession where by definition you’re working around sick people every day is going to be on this list, I’m just surprised that it’s as far down the list as it is.
Did your profession make the list? What about your office, has the flu started spreading around your workplace or home yet? Tell us about it in the comments section!