Were you in Jersey City last week? You may have been exposed to measles
JERSEY CITY — A Hudson County resident who came down with a confirmed case of measles after an overseas trip may have inadvertently exposed hundreds of other people in New Jersey upon his return.
The state Department of Health issued a warning Friday about the person's travels after they developed a rash on Jan. 19, making them infectious. No cases in Jersey City have been reported, according to the Department, but symptoms may not show until Feb. 14.
Symptoms of measles include high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes, according to the CDC, which said tiny white spots may appear inside the mouth two or three days after symptoms begin.
A rash will also break out in the form of flat red spots that appear on the face at the hairline and spread downward to the neck, arms, legs and feet. In some cases, people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia swelling of the brain.
The Department of Health said those who think they may have been exposed should contact their healthcare provider. It's also recommended to call before heading to their office or a hospital in order to minimize the risk of others being exposed.
The infected person's travels included:
Christ Hospital, 176 Palisade Ave., Jersey City
- Jan. 20-21, between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m.
- Jan. 22, between 4:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
PATH Stations: Journal Square and Newport AND PATH Train: Journal Square to 33rd St Line
- Jan. 17, between 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- Jan. 17, between 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Newport Tower, 525 Washington Boulevard, Jersey City
- Jan. 17, between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Jan. 18, between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Newport Mall, 30 Mall Drive W., Jersey City
- Jan. 17, between 12 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
145 Harborside, Plaza 2, Jersey City
- Jan. 19, between 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
LabCorp, 600 Pavonia Ave., Jersey City
- Jan. 19, between 12 p.m.- 2:45 p.m.
600 Pavonia Ave, Jersey City
- Jan. 19, between 12 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Duane Reade, 1 Path Plaza, Jersey City
- Jan. 19, between 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Square 1, 283 St Pauls Ave., Jersey City
- Jan. 21, between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com
More from New Jersey 101.5