Vape explodes, triggers fire, Manchester burn victim hospitalized
An electronic smoking device explodes in Manchester, starting a house fire and sending a 21-year-old to hospitalization for burns and lacerations.
Township police responded to the New Brunswick Avenue home at about 7:18 PM on May 16, alerted to a small explosion and fire and under advisement that two occupants escaped safely.
Patrolman Matthew Juralewicz found the victim with burns around his face and eyes and a nose laceration, police said.
Authorities learned that as the vape dropped to the floor, the liquid contents spread and burned, inflicting heat and smoke damage through a bedroom and hallway. Whiting Volunteer firefighters quickly tamped down the flames.
The burn victim was treated at Community Medical Center in Toms River. Police did not release the identity of either occupant of the house.
Quality Medical Transport and members of the Ocean County Sheriff's Department and Prosecutor's and Fire Marshall's Offices also responded to the site.