Toms River Girl is Flown to Burn Unit After Hair Catches Fire
First responders airlift a two year old Toms River girl to the Saint Barnabas Medical Center Burn Unit in Livingston after sustaining first and second degree burns to her face.
Township Police Chief Mitch Little said the girl's hair caught on fire after coming in contact with flames from a decorative candle on the kitchen counter early Wednesday evening.
Little said the mother quickly extinguished the flames with a towel and began medical treatment. The toddler was also treated by Toms River EMS and Monmouth Ocean Paramedics who decided to transport her by Medevac helicopter as a precaution due to her age.
Little said the incident is being investigated but preliminary findings determine this to be an accident and no foul play is suspected.