Tips To Cool Down Here at the Jersey Shore During Our Heatwave
The temperature is going feel like 100 degrees today, tomorrow and Friday! Heat indexes will be near 100 each day, so we definitely have a mini "heatwave" on our hands. Here are some tips on how to beat the heat from Dr. George Kikano at the University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, courtesy of ABC News.
- Use your freezer to cool down household items, then take them out during peak hours to cool off.
- Sleep in the basement if possible to stay cool.
- Cover windows that receive a ton of sun with shades or towels to keep your house cooler. Turn off the lights, when possible, to reduce energy use.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Avoid spicy foods because they can raise your body temperature.
- Avoid coffee and alcohol, which can exacerbate dehydration.
Dr. Kikano also added that to avoid problems like heat exhaustion and heat stroke, 'be aware of the temperature and stay hydrated. Also, modify activities, if possible, to avoid being outside during the hottest parts of the day. When outside, wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothing.'
Share any of your tips us on how to beat the heat!