MIDDLETOWN — A teenager was charged with making terroristic threats to a high school on social media.

Classes were held as normal at Middletown High School North on Thursday after Middletown Police determined that the threat was not credible. Details of the threat were not disclosed.

The news website More Monmouth Musings posted a video first posted on Snapchat showing a box of 38 bullets. "F***ing 38 bullets. Why he has this many? Lord knows you in Keansburg not Camden," said the voice.

The post included a photo with the message that the "Big s--t school year bouta (sp) be 37 times more exquisitely lit. Brass boys brass boys waht you finna do wen dey come fo u" with flame emojis.

Police on Thursday announced on their Facebook page that a teen had been arrested in connection with the threat. Police said rumors of other groups and suspects were investigated and determined to be unfounded.

The juvenile's family was cooperative in the investigation, police said.

"More importantly, we would also like to reassure the community that an extensive search was conducted and we are confident that the individual does not possess or have access to any firearms or ammunition, despite any videos or images that may have been posted," read the message.

Police said they have increased their presence in the area to alleviate any concerns reiterated there is no danger to the school community.

Middletown North is one of two high schools in the Monmouth County township and has a student population of 1,477.

Middletown PD Chief R. Craig Weber's full post-investigative statement:

"We are aware that some disturbing social media messages have caused widespread alarm and concern in the community.  Threatening social media posts are obviously upsetting and rightfully a cause for concern, especially when they involve our children or schools.  The safety of the public is of paramount concern to us and the police department takes all threats of this nature very seriously.  This matter has been thoroughly investigated by both law enforcement and school authorities and is being handled appropriately.  The fact that the individual involved is a minor prohibits the disclosure of specific details due to privacy laws and the confidential nature of the investigation, however we can share that a juvenile is being charged with making terroristic threats in relation to this incident.  More importantly, we would also like to reassure the community that an extensive search was conducted and we are confident that the individual does not possess or have access to any firearms or ammunition, despite any videos or images that may have been posted.  The family of the juvenile involved in this incident has also been fully cooperative with authorities throughout our handling of this matter.  At this time there are no other suspects or persons of interest involved in this incident and any rumors that may be continuing to circulate about multiple suspects or multiple schools have been fully investigated and determined to be unfounded.  Police patrols have been increased in the area of the schools to help alleviate any lingering concerns that may still exist, however there is no danger to the school community."

Charges are accusations. Defendants are presumed innocent unless, and until, proven guilty in a court of law.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com

Sign Up For The WOBM Newsletter