Seaside Heights Roller Coaster Won’t Stay Submerged
A roller coaster swept off a Seaside Heights amusement pier by Superstorm Sandy won’t remain as a tourist attraction partially submerged in the ocean.
Seaside Heights Mayor Bill Akers tells the Asbury Park Press the town and the owners of the Casino Pier are in talks to remove what remains of the Jet Star Roller Coaster.
The mayor last week told WNBC TV that the coaster would make a “great tourist attraction.” But the mayor now says that “was not the brightest comment.”
“Everyone all over on Facebook was commenting on it and took a shot at me,’’ Akers told the Press.
He pointed out a whole slew of issues should the roller coaster remain in the ocean.
“Would the DEP (the state Department of Environmental Protection) allow it? Does it have to be anchored down properly? And the Coast Guard would need to approve it,’’ Akers told the newspaper. “The whole situation is unfortunate.’’
Bob Considine, a Department of Enviornmental Protection spokesman, told the Press. the removal of the coaster is an issue for the Coast Guard and the borough.
Casino Pier officials say they are still assessing the damage.
The mayor says tourism is the “lifeblood” of Seaside Heights. “Tourism makes up 75 percent of the budget, while the remaining 25 percent comes from property owners.’’
Construction of a new boardwalk should begin in January and be ready by Memorial Day.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.