Ocean County Household Hazardous Waste Schedule Expands
Superstorm Sandy is generating mammoth amounts of debris as houses are reconditioned. Most of it will find a spot in recycling centers or landfills. But for every house that was compromised by water, there cleaners, solvents, pesticides and aerosol cans that were ruined. Ocean County officials have set five disposal dates in December.
Household hazardous waste collection days and sites are:
- December 8, 9 AM ’til 3 PM, Toms River Township Recycling Center, 1672 Church Road
- December 13, 11 AM ’til 5 PM, Little Egg Harbor Public Works Yard, 1363 Route 539
- December 14, 11 AM ’til 5 PM, Lacey Township Recycling Center, 820 Municipal Lane
- December 15, 9 AM ’til 3 PM, Ocean County Southern Recycling Center, 379 Haywood Road, Manahawkin
- December 15, 9 AM ’til 3 PM, Brick Township High School 346 Chambers Bridge Road.
Acceptable materials include:
- Paints, thinners, boat paints, solvents
- Pool chemicals
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Aerosol cans
- Auto products, gasoline, waste oil
- Toilet and drain cleaners
- Polishes, rug, upholstery and oven cleaners, bleaches
- Photography chemicals
All items except gasoline and waste oil should be in their original containers. Registration and proof of residency is required for all dates. The registration contact numbers are:
- Toms River: 732-367-0802
- Brick and Lacey: 732-506-5047
- Stafford and Little Egg Harbor: 609-978-0913
Household hazardous waste collection normally takes place twice each year in Ocean County. However, the overwhelming problem of waste management and the additional environmental threat prompted the decision to add extra dates.