Ocean Co. flu shot clinics in Toms River, Berkeley, Pt. Pleasant, Stafford
Fall means football, foliage, frost on the pumpkin - and, if you're not careful, flu.
The Ocean County Health Department's (OCHD) mobile vaccination clinics continue this week in four spots:
- Tuesday, October 11 - Toms River/Berkeley Township - Holiday City South, 139 Santiago Drive, 10 AM - 12 PM
- Wednesday, October 12 - Toms River - Ocean County Library, Green Room, 5 - 7 PM
- Thursday, October 13 - Point Pleasant - Senior Beehive, St. Martha's Church, 3800 Herbertsville Road, 10 AM - 12 PM
- Thursday, October 13 - Toms River - Ocean County Mall, County Connection, 10 AM - 12 PM
- Thursday, October 13 - Stafford - OCHD Southern Branch, 333 Haywood Road, 4 - 6 PM
- Friday, October 14 - Waretown - Ocean Township Community Center, 239 Eleventh Street, 4 - 7 PM.
Health officials now recommend annual flu inoculations for everyone age six months and older, especially pregnant women and chronic disease patients.
Infants up to age six months are vulnerable, they say, but are too young for the vaccine. They recommend that anyone tending infants receive the vaccination.
OCHD offers three types of inoculations that cover four types of influenza: "Regular," injected in muscle, for six months of age and up; "Intradermal," injected into skin, for age 18-64; "High dose," in the muscle, for adults age 65 and older.
Pneumonia vaccinations are also available. Those under age 65 should present a doctor's note.
Injections are free of charge for Medicare Part B subscribers. Non-subscribers, or those on managed health care plans, are charged $20, payable by cash or check and covered by most insurors.
Health officials also suggest everyday prevention steps, including: Covering nose and mouth during sneezes and coughs, and if using a tissue, tossing it in the trash when done; frequent hand washing with soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub; avoiding close contact with flu sufferers; staying home if infected, and avoiding contact with eyes, nose and mouth.
See the full schedule of clinics at the Ocean County Health Department web page.