Men & TV: Perfect Together
So now that summer as we know it is over and the days are getting shorter it’s likely many will be spending more time watching television. My wife and I just finished binge-watching the second season of “Ozark” on Netflix and that’s become a popular way to watch shows like that. A survey in the September issue of “Men’s Health” says that for men a typical binge-watching session lasts 3 to 4 episodes which is what I’ll need to get through “Jack Ryan” which I am watching myself on Amazon Video. By the way, binge viewers have a 98% higher likelihood of sleeping poorly then non-binge viewers for what that’s worth.
Anyway, some other facts and figures on the subject of men and TV:
- There was a 9.7% drop in NFL ratings from 2016 to 2017 which of course we already knew. What is somewhat interesting is that it was reported yesterday that NFL television ratings have generally been up through the first two weeks of the season.
- 3 in 5 men fall asleep watching TV which I am guilty of on an almost nightly basis.
- The average guy watches 2 hours and 37 minutes of TV on a weekday and that increases to 3 hours and 45 minutes on the weekend which is about the length of a college or NFL game.
- 4 in 5 men use their phone or tablet while also watching TV…I am guilty of that for sure.
- The reality shows men prefer most are based on cooking. Cast my vote for Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
- 54% of households have Netflix which has actually surpassed those with DVR’s. 37% of men have streamed Netflix at work and what’s really disturbing is 12% have done so in a public restroom.
- About 50% of lost remotes are found stuck between cushions on the couch and 4% are found in the fridge or freezer. It’s amazing at some of the places you actually find these things.