$636 Million Mega Millions Numbers Drawn
What would you do with $636 million dollars? Whoever holds the winning ticket gets to find out.
The winning numbers drawn Tuesday night were: 8, 14, 17, 20, 39 and the Mega Ball was 7. Two winning tickets were sold in California and Georgia according to the Mega Millions website which reports 20 tickets worth $1million each were also sold.
The jackpot for tonight's Mega Millions jackpot jumped to a $636 million, the second highest jackpot ever offered in a United States lottery.
New Jersey Lottery Director Carole Hedinger said tickets were selling up to 8,000 per minute.
"Jackpot games bring out the occasional player, the people that play for the dream. You sit around and talk with people about what you would do if you won, who you would take care of, what vacations you would go on or what bills you would pay. That's part of just the excitement and the dream that the dollar buys you," said Hedinger.
"We've adopted a new motto actually - we're calling ourselves 'Jersey Lucky,'" said Hedinger.
Paula Otto, lead director for Mega Millions, says officials expect about 70 percent of the possible number combinations to be purchased.
There have been 21 consecutive drawings without a jackpot winner dating to Oct. 1.
Be the first to know when the numbers are drawn by texting NEWS to 89000.
Here's a look at the top 10 record lottery jackpots in U.S. history.
1. $656.0 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (3 tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
2. $636 million, Mega Millions, Tonight (To be drawn)
3. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (1 ticket from Florida)
4. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (2 tickets from Arizona and Missouri)
5. $448.4 million, Powerball, Aug. 7, 2013 (3 tickets from Minnesota and New Jersey)
6. $399.4 million, Powerball, Sept. 18, 2013 (1 ticket from South Carolina)
7. $390.0 million, Mega Millions, March 6, 2007 (2 tickets from Georgia and New Jersey)
8. $380.0 million, Mega Millions, Jan. 4, 2011 (2 tickets from Idaho and Washington)
9. $365.0 million, Powerball, Feb. 18, 2006 (1 ticket from Nebraska)
10. $363.0 million, The Big Game(asterisk), May 9, 2000 (2 tickets from Illinois and Michigan)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.