A lit cigarette that ignited a mattress appears to be the cause of a Monday night fire that left extensive damage in a Brick Township house, and that cost a pet dog its life.

Laurelton Fire Company Quint (Photo submitted by Steven Nowacki)

Six firefighting companies pooled their efforts to douse the blaze that was reported at 9:59 PM.

Brick Township police said that the two occupants of the Cherokee Lane home were evacuated after the fire broke out. Police did not note any injuries to either..

Officers who first arrived said they found flames roaring in a spare bedroom, windows to the outside breaking, and smoke billowing from windows and the adjoining front doorway.

A Laurelton firefighter found the dog inside the burning house, but resuscitation efforts failed, police said.

A resident told investigators that he was smoking in the spare bedroom and dropped the cigarette under the bed, igniting the mattress, and that he couldn't contain the flames.

Firefighters were summoned from Laurelton Fire Company Station 23, the Herbertsville, Breton Woods and Pioneer Hose fire companies, Point Pleasant Fire Department Station 75, and Point Pleasant Beach FD Company 2.

An investigation continues by Brick PD detectives and township Fire Marshal Frank Beshears.

Sign Up For The WOBM Newsletter