It’s only a drill: DOT crews to practice evacuation route setup
TRENTON — Road crews will practice setting up evacuation routes on several Central and South Jersey highways on Thursday.
The state Department of Transportation and New Jersey State Police stressed that no roads will be closed during the drill, to create so-called contra routes on highways that would be used to evacuate the Jersey Shore. Drivers will notice an increased police presence on the roadways involved.
Crews will be working to set up cones, barrels, and electronic message boards that would be used to reverse traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction.
The involved roads:
- Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
- Garden State Parkway (mile post 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor)
- I-195 (mile post 6 in Robbinsville to about mile post 34 in Wall)
- Route 72 (mile post 13.8 in Barnegat to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom)
- Route 47 (mile post 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
- Route 347 (mile post 0 in Dennis to about mile post 9 in Maurice River)
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from WOBM