Howell Diner Fire Ignited by Roof Work
A fire at the Athena Diner in Howell forces police to shut down Route 9 during rush hour Friday.
Howell Patch reports five local fire departments and two first aid squads were on the scene battling the blaze that started on the roof of the diner. Stevens Roofing Company was on its second day of repairs when the fire sparked.
Howell Police closed Route 9 around 6:30 p.m. Friday evening, and the road was re-opened around 7 p.m. No injuries were reported, all employees and customers were able to get out of the restaurant safely.
The Howell Township Fire Bureau and the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office Fire Marshall's Office are investigating.