Heading to the Atlantic City Airshow? Here’s all you need to know
ATLANTIC CITY - It will be a nearly perfect day as the Atlantic City Airshow, featuring appearances by the Army's Golden Knights and the famed Thunderbirds, takes flight over the boardwalk on Wednesday.
The show officially begins at 10:30 a.m. as the skies fill with appearances and flybys from the New Jersey Air National Guard, the State Police, the MidAtlantic and AtlantiCare medevac, the U.S. Coast Guard, the Geico Skytypers and more.
The Army's Golden Knights will open the show at 11 a.m. with a flag jump while the Thunderbirds will take to the sky just after 3 p.m.
Get there early
Crowds should approach 40,000, according to Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce spokeswoman Savana Ashlea Biren, who said the show can be seen from Brigantine to Ocean City.
"Lines will be long getting onto the boardwalk," Biren said, advising visitors to arrive as early as possible.
Meteorologist Dan Zarrow said "the only 'thunder' at this year's show will come from the fighter jets and not the clouds! In fact, there won't be many clouds to speak of at all as sunshine dominating the sky. Even though humidity will slowly decrease on Wednesday, it's still going to be very warm. Air temperatures along the Atlantic City Boardwalk are expected to hover in the lower to mid 80s throughout the event."
Biren said the essentials to bring along are bug spray, water bottles, sunscreen, sunglasses, hearing protection, comfortable shoes, a hat and light clothing.
Parking will be available at the lot on service area off the Atlantic City Expressway east of Exit 5 for Route 9. Parking costs $10. Buses will take visitors to the boardwalk.
Parking is also available at the corner of Pacific and Georgia avenues (facing Boardwalk Hall) and the Atlantic City Convention Center parking garage.
"We know a big complaint was not enough jitneys. We're worked hard to make more of them available especially before and after the show," Biren said.
Parking will also be available at the casinos.
One change is that parking will not be available at Bader Field.
Atlantic City police will direct traffic in an effort to alleviate the congestion.
This year’s schedule (subject to change):
- 10:40 Airshow Tow Banner Flybys
- 11:00 US Army Golden Knights Flag Jump w/National Anthem
- 11:08 US Army Golden Knights Mass Exit Show
- 11:16 Rob Holland MXS Aerobatic Teaser
- 11:20 NJ ANG 177th FW F-16 Flyby
- 11:21 NJ ANG 108th WG KC-135 Flyby
- 11:24 FAA William J. Hughes Tech Center Global 5000 Flyby
- 11:27 NJ ANG Composite Wing Flyby (KC-135 & (2) F-16s)
- 11:29 ChefPitts Pitts Aerobatics
- 11:42 Jim Beasley Jr. & Andrew McKenna P-51 (2-ship) Aerobatics
- 11:55 USMC MV-22 Osprey Demonstration
- 12:09 CBP Air & Marine Operations AS-350 and Coastal Interceptor Demo
- 12:19 Scott Francis MXS Aerobatics
- 12:32 6ABC Chopper Flyby
- 12:35 MidAtlantic Medevac Flybys
- 12:37 AtlantiCare Medevac Flyby
- 12:39 NJ State Police Flybys
- 12:42 NJ Army National Guard UH-72 Flyby & UH-60 SPIES Demo (2-ship)
- 12:50 Warrior Aviation L-39 Demonstration (2-ship)
- 13:05 US Coast Guard MH-65 Demo (100th Anniversary of USCG)
- 13:20 US Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet Demonstration
- 13:34 Lee Leets Tucano Demonstration
- 13:48 Jim Beasley Jr. P-51 Mustang Demonstrations
- 14:02 GEICO Skytypers
- 14:20 Miss GEICO SpeedBoat vs. GEICO Skytypers Race
- 14:25 Army Golden Knights Mass Exit Show
- 14:45 Rob Holland MXS Demonstration
- 14:58 USAF Thunderbirds Enlistment Ceremony (@ Boardwalk and Florida Avenue)
- 15:05 USAF Thunderbirds