Freebies in NJ for Donut Day — a real, patriotic holiday!
TRENTON — Where can you celebrate Homer Simpson's favorite holiday?
Friday is Doughnut Day, a holiday that dates back to World War I, originally celebrated to honor the women of the Salvation Army who brought the treats to soldiers. The original "Donut Lassies," Ensign Margaret Sheldon and Adjutant Helen Purviance, would fry doughnuts in a pan for hungry soldiers.
Several retailers will mark the occasion with free doughnuts for customers
- Dunkin Donuts: Get a free "classic" doughnut with the purchase of any beverage. The chain will also introduce the first sponsored lens on Snapchat that will turn one's face into a doughnut.
- Wawa: App users get a free doughnut with the purchase of a coffee
- Quick Chek: A coupon for a free doughnut was pushed to the users of its app
- Krispy Kreme: Get a free doughnut at participating locations. No purchase necessary.
- Duck Donuts: Get a free doughnut with any purchase.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.
More from WOBM: