Firefighter rescued from basement of South Brunswick home
SOUTH BRUNSWICK — A firefighter was not injured after falling through the floor into the basement while battling a 3-alarm fire on Thursday morning.
The 27-year-old fire fighter was quickly rescued from the home on Georges Avenue where the fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. and treated by an EMS crew.
"The firefighter who fell followed his training and immediately radioed his location. The other team moved rapidly to locate and remove him. His rescue is a credit to all the firefighters involved," Monmouth Junction Fire Chief Scott Smith said.
Police said the fire was started by an electrical short and was ruled accidental.
The homeowners were not home when the fire broke out. They had gone to church and then to breakfast before returning home to their home on fire. The family dog, however, was found dead on the second floor of the home.
Fifty firefighters from all of South Brunswick's fire companies along with mutual aid from surrounding towns helped put the fire out.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.