Beach Haven Landmark Rises From The Ashes
Owners of The Gables bed-and-breakfast in Beach Haven say they’ll rebound from the Easter Sunday fire that scorched its upper floors and reopen in time for Memorial Day weekend.
Investigators found that the blaze began outside the building. Gusty winds swept the flames above the first floor while patrons arriving for a holiday meal quickly scurried from their tables. None of the customers or staff were injured.
Owners Sondra and Stephen Beninati say that wind patterns spared the kitchen and first floor from damage. Reconstruction of the upper stories is under way.
“We are grateful to our guests, clients and for the community support we have received,” Sondra said in a statement. “The staff and management will continue to work diligently and intends to honor all commitments for events that are scheduled before renovations are complete.”
The Gables has been a fixture in Beach Haven since 1892, and a key component of the borough’s Victorian architecture.
The Beninatis are longstanding members of the Southern Ocean County Chamber of Commerce. They helped create the annual Wedding Road Show, now in its third year, and support tourism draws such as Chocolate Week and the Lighthouse International Film Festival.
See all about The Gables’s past and present, and contact the Beninatis directly, at gableslbi.com