OCEAN TOWNSHIP (Monmouth) — Two men trying to have some fun and stay warm on Friday night were badly hurt when one of them tried using gasoline to light a fire pit.

Both were hospitalized with various degrees of burns, police said.

Police were called to the area between Fairway Lane and Weston Avenue where they found the men burned from the fire pit. Police said the gasoline had "iognited in an explosive manner."

One had more significant burns to his face, chest, and hands and was taken by helicopter to the Burn Center at Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. The other was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center.

The Wanamassa First Aid Squad, Ocean Township Fire District 2 Fire Marshall's Office, and the Monmouth County Fire Marshall's Office responded.

More From New Jersey 101.5

Contact reporter Adam Hochron at 609-359-5326 or Adam.Hochron@townsquaremedia.com

Sign Up For The WOBM Newsletter